Here is a simple and delicious warm beverage to enjoy this holiday season. It's great any time of day, but it's perfect later in the day when you want to avoid stimulants like caffeine or chocolate. If you're making it for more that two, feel free to double or triple the recipe.
If you can't have dairy, this would be lovely with coconut milk.
Simple Holiday Spiced SteamerServes 2
1 1/2 c. raw milk or coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
2 cardamom pods
4 allspice berries
1/4 t. vanilla extract
honey to taste
- Gather your spices and gently crush the cardamom pods.
- In a small saucepan, combine the spices and milk, and heat gently until warm but not hot enough to make your finger say "ouch!" (If you heat the raw milk past this point it kills the enzymes.)
- Turn off the heat, and cover the pot. Let the spices infuse for about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add the vanilla and honey to taste. The milk may have developed a skin while infusing; feel free to remove it and discard.
- Pour the milk through a small strainer into mugs, and drink right away.
What's your favorite wintery-warm beverage?
This is part of Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Modern Alternative Kitchen's Monday Link-Up, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy2Day Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday
Like what you just read? Subscribe so you don't miss a thing!